Euroseeds and ASTA collaborated on a high level transatlantic dialogue event on agricultural innovation for a sustainable food system facilitating a new era of positive transatlantic engagement, with a focus on enhancing cooperation to achieve common sustainability goals. Representatives from the EU Parliament, the EU Commission, USDA and science discussed how scientific research and innovation in agriculture can enable the transition towards a sustainable food system that can contribute to the achievement of the EU and the U.S. climate goals.
Together Euroseeds and ASTA defined 6 PRIORITIES TO UNLOCK THE POTENTIAL OF PLANT BREEDING INNOVATION:
- Recognize the fundamental role of plant breeding and innovation in plant breeding methods in achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Invest in public funding for research & development
- Work towards policy alignment and compatibility pertaining to products of PBI
- Allow competitiveness of different innovations and agricultural production systems
- Promote an integrated, competitive and diverse transatlantic seed market
- Continue to foster an open, science-based and inclusive dialogue on how plant breeding and innovation in plant breeding methods can contribute to sustainability goals