Euroseeds is looking for a Technical Manager Plant Health and Seed Trade to join the Euroseeds General Secretariat’s team in Brussels, Belgium.
The continuously increasing international movement of plant breeding material and commercial seed requires internationally aligned and practical plant health and seed trade regulations. These are precondition for seed companies to work efficiently and fully exploit the advantages of counter-seasonal breeding and seed production and supply markets worldwide.
The European Union’s own comprehensive legal framework for Plant Health and Seed Trade shall support such international alignment, as well as the free movement of goods within the Internal Market while protecting Europe from phytosanitary risks.
Both policy areas require constant monitoring and early intervention with high level expertise.
Euroseeds is the voice of the European seed sector, representing the interests of those active in research, breeding, production and marketing of seeds of agricultural, horticultural and ornamental plant species. With more than 36 national member associations from EU Members States and beyond, Euroseeds represents several thousand seed businesses, as well 67 direct company members, including from seed related industries.
The Technical Manager Plant Health and Seed Trade will work closely with the Euroseeds membership and as part of the Euroseeds Policy and Technical Team, under the guidance of the Secretary General to whom he/she will be reporting. The Technical Manager represents Euroseeds as key interlocutor towards all relevant plant health and seed trade administrations (EU Commission, EU Member States’ and international authorities) and is the spokesperson of the EU seed sector on all related matters. The Technical Manager is responsible for and leads the work of Euroseeds’ dedicated Working Groups. Further tasks in relation to the management of other internal bodies and external responsibilities may be assigned in line with the association’s needs and the individual expertise and experience of the Technical Manager.
The position is a full-time one, based at the Brussels office, and requires regular travel, mainly in Europe but occasionally also internationally.
- Follow and assure the continuous seed industry input to the implementation of the EU Regulation on protective measures against pests of plants (Plant Health Regulation), including its implementing and delegated acts, as well as other relevant EU seed legislation, specifically the EU Seed Marketing Directives
- Provide input to Pest Risk Analysis’ on seed-related pests done by EFSA, EPPO and NPPOs on the base of appropriate industry consultation
- Represent Euroseeds in the EU Commission Market Access Working Group, Advisory Group Food Chain and Animal and Plant Health and other relevant EU and international bodies
- Monitor the work of and provide industry input to the EU Standing Committee on Plant Health
- Establish and keep relations with relevant non-EU seed sector organisations in the area of plant health and seed trade
- Manage and lead the Euroseeds WG Plant Health and support related discussions in other Euroseeds bodies
- Strong plant science/agricultural background (University degree), ideally with phytosanitary specialisation and experience
- Understanding of practicalities of plant breeding, variety development and seed marketing
- Able to explain technical phytosanitary and seed trade issues to laymen, but also able to communicate with authority to technical experts
- Experience in/with a National Plant Protection Office or in the seed sector (quality assurance/marketing) desired
- Very strong EN (working language); other languages (specifically DE, ES, FR, IT or NL) an asset
- Computer literate
Personality and skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, service oriented
- Tactful in dealing with people, also under pressure
- Discretion, good judgment ability, flexibility and versatility
- Good organizational skills and management ability
- Team player with initiative but also able to work independently
- Curiosity and affinity to new technologies and tools
- Creative and innovative
Interested candidates should send their CV and motivation letter, including their salary expectations, to: email@example.com with the reference “Technical Manager Plant Health and Seed Trade”.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 26.05.2021, c.o.b.
First selection round of individual interviews: between 07.06. and 11.06.2021
Second selection round of remaining candidates: between 14.06. and 18.06.2021
Starting date: earliest possible date