Euroseeds is looking for a Technical Manager Variety Testing and Registration to join the Euroseeds General Secretariat’s team in Brussels, Belgium.
The EU’s regulatory framework for variety registration and seed marketing provides the foundation for comprehensive control and customer assurance regarding the identity, quality, performance and, in conjunction with phytosanitary rules, health of all plant reproductive material available on the market in the European Union. They successfully support both the availability of an ever-growing number of high-performing varieties suitable for different climatic conditions, production methods and markets as well as preservation and sustainable use of plant genetic resources through specific rules and/or exemptions. They are precondition for seed companies as well as farmers to work efficiently and fully exploit the advantages of the Common Market. Consequently, this policy area requires constant monitoring and early intervention with high level expertise at EU and Member State level as well as in relevant international fora.
Euroseeds is the voice of the European seed sector, representing the interests of those active in research, breeding, production and marketing of seeds of agricultural, horticultural and ornamental plant species. With more than 36 national member associations from EU Members States and beyond, Euroseeds represents several thousand seed businesses, as well 67 direct company members, including from seed related industries.
The Technical Manager Variety Registration and Seed Marketing will work closely with the Euroseeds membership and, as part of the Euroseeds Policy Team, under the guidance of the Secretary General to whom he/she will be reporting. The Manager represents Euroseeds on all relevant variety registration matters (DUS protocols, VCU testing, etc.) towards the responsible EU institutions, specifically the EU Commission, the CPVO Community Plant Variety Office and national plant variety offices, UPOV, etc.. The Manager shall be the spokesperson of the EU seed sector on these subjects and assure multiplication of European activities at international level as
The Technical Manager will be responsible for the management, support and animation of the dedicated Euroseeds Working Group Variety Testing and Registration as well as some of Euroseeds’ Crop Sections and other related Working Groups; further tasks may be assigned in
line with the association’s needs and individual expertise and experience.
Euroseeds welcomes applications of experienced professionals with practical work experience in the relevant fields as well as young professionals graduates with the respective academic background for whom specific training would be provided.
The position requires regular travel, mainly in Europe, but at times also internationally.
- Monitoring of EU plant variety registration and seed marketing legislation, incl. regular contact with relevant EU Commission services; specific responsibility for the on-going evaluation of the EU seed legislation, the development of technical input to the respective public consultations and the following legislative procedure
- Providing input to Technical Protocols for variety examination, denominations, etc. on the base of Euroseeds membership consultations
- Representing Euroseeds in EU and international bodies such as CPVO, UPOV and OECD on relevant technical issues in the area of variety registration and seed marketing
- Management and animation of some of Euroseeds Crop Sections and Section Working
- Groups, including preparation of meetings, minuting and follow-up
- Strong plant science/agricultural sciences background (University degree, Master level)
- Practical experience and understanding of plant breeding, variety development and seed marketing, ideally with work experience in a plant breeding institute, seed company and/or a seed related regulatory body (min. 3 to 5 years)
- Basic knowledge of EU political and regulatory framework is an asset
- Able to explain technical issues to laymen, but also able to communicate with authority to experts
- Very strong written and spoken EN (working language); other languages (specifically DE,ES, FR, IT or NL) are an asset
- Computer literate
Personality and skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, service oriented
- Tactful in dealing with people, also under pressure
- Discretion, good judgment ability, flexibility and versatility
- Organizational skills, management ability
- Team player with initiative and ability to work independently
- Curiosity and affinity to new technologies and tools
- Creative and innovative
Interested candidates should send their CV and motivation letter including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Technical Manager”.
Application deadline: 28.01.2022
First selection round: 01.02. – 11.02.2022 (on-line)
Second selection round: 14.02. – 25.02.2022 (in person oral interview and written test)
Starting date: earliest possible date